Thursday 24 May 2018

May 2018 Charasmatic and exciting Sparrowhawks

I feel so lucky to have a pair of Sparrowhawks locally as they are such exciting birds to be around.  I always enjoy the spring and summer season watching them raise their young.  At the moment they are incubating their eggs and it seems that the female does most of this.  I always remember in my old bird book that Sparrowhawks lay their eggs in May.  All other birds seemed to me to say April/May.  This is an adaption so that when maximum food is needed there are plenty of young fledglings around for them.



Female sitting tight on the eggs
The Male is often seen around the nest site in tops of trees always vigilant and protective.

Male Sparrowhawk
In the image below the male launches himself from his regular perch to chase off a stray Jay that has entered his territory too close to the nest.
Full attack mode

No comments:

Post a Comment