Tuesday 15 May 2018

May 2018 Nuthatch great builders

I love to observe bird behaviour.  Back on the 1st April I took this image of a Nuthatch bringing mud back to a hole in a tree that was obviously too large an aperture.  Predators would have had a field day with the eggs or young easy to reach.  It was interesting to return six weeks later and see them bringing in food for their young.  The images below show the result of the work.  The hole has been filled in with mud that has dried.  There is now only enough room for a Nuthatch to squeeze through.
Great workmanship.

Beginning the engineering project 

6 weeks later hole filled with mud
I enjoyed seeing the results of their labours today.  A Grey Squirrel paid them a visit while I was there, but the foil worked perfectly.
Good luck to this pair, after all this work I hope they are successful and fledge their young.

No comments:

Post a Comment