Friday 15 February 2019

February 2019 Giving something back for nature is so satisfying

Over the last few winter months we have decided to give a bit back for nature.  Especially as over the years I have gained so much pleasure from being out there enjoying the sights and sounds.  We have a small patch of about one acre of scrub on our small holding.  It is mainly covered in very dense blackthorn and little light gets through.  It is very lifeless.  So the project was to thin this out creating some sunny glades.  The main and hard work was thinning this out.

I enjoy using the chain saw when its cutting well

We also end up with some fuel for the wood burner

plenty of burning up to do

Getting there
Once we felt the glades were complete and the sun came shining through it was time to add some bird boxes.  

I don't like heights!
After this even though we left any decent trees I thought that it needed some different species as they were still mainly hawthorns.  English Oak were the species of choice and they can help so many different species.  So the oak trees were ordered.

Planting the oaks.
Protection was the next major concern as there are a lot of deer and rabbits around to feast on them.  I ordered the tallest guards I could get.

1.8 metre guards


Looks better with a few oaks interspersed
I am really looking forward to this spring and monitoring the results.  One thought will the new oaks absorb more CO2 that I will create in my life time?  It would be great to steal a stop over Pied Flycatcher  from Nags Head in the Forest of Dean!  Time will tell!

No comments:

Post a Comment