Monday 25 February 2019

February 2019 Before spring leaves come out, Woodpeckers can be easier to see!

I thought I would have a trip to the local park as I haven't been there for a long while.  Before the leaves come out it is a good time to see woodpeckers in the tops of the trees.  Later in the season they can seem to disappear.  I set off in the sunshine from home but as I arrived in the park it was very misty and the poor light does not really help with the photography.  I was pleased to hear drumming of the Great Spotted Woodpecker and also the Laugh of the Green Woodpecker.  The greens are more unusual to see here, so I was quite excited to get a few glimpses.

Male Green Woodpecker
The two species were interacting and chasing each other around I guess in competition for suitable trees  in which to hollow out their nest cavity.

Male Great Spotted Woodpecker
There are three species of Woodpecker in the UK, the above two and the very elusive Lesser Spotted Woodpecker.  I am yet to ever see this species let alone get a photograph. Perhaps I will be racing home one day to see these on my computer   I am sure this will be a very excited blog post one day!

No comments:

Post a Comment