Saturday 2 March 2019

March 2019 Sad news Vulcan the Hen Harrier goes missing in suspicious circumstances

It was really sad and upsetting to hear that a Hen Harrier I managed to see in the Cotswold Hills this winter has been reported missing in suspicious circumstances.  These are one of the most iconic and beautiful raptors with only nine successful nests in England last year.  It was reported that it's transmitter had finished sending out signals on the 16th January in Wiltshire.  This is the eleventh tagged harrier to go missing in suspicious circumstances since August.
I personally have nothing against shooting game birds and I can also get the sport with the interest in guns, the skills for shooting, the skills needed to raise the game birds and also the training of the gun dogs.  I am also aware that the sport creates a lot of employment.
The part I cannot get my head around is why so much beauty can be destroyed just to marginally get a few extra birds to hang up at the end of a shoot.
I don't think the shooting community will ever change dramatically, but I just wish that when they reflect on their days sport that they can do so without the knowledge that what they enjoyed led to the destruction of such beauty that so many others enjoy seeing.
Come on shooting people step up and help protect these beautiful and rare creatures that have a right to be here.

Vulcan (I didn't notice the transmitter until I got home)

Vulcan hunting over grassland
   Alas no more, come on shooting people live and let live!

No comments:

Post a Comment