Wednesday 2 September 2020

September 2020 ~ The Regularity of some migrants seems amazing

 It comes as quite a surprise but over the last few years I have to say that I am amazed over the consistency of some of the long distance migratory birds.  There is a particular hedge on my local patch where I regularly get migrant Spotted Flycatchers.  They never breed here but I see them every year.  I could perhaps understand if they were returning to a nest site or breeding area.  But this seems to be just a regular stop over on the migratory journey south.  I can just imagine when there are none around that if I said to someone if you look along this hedge in Late August early September there will be a party of Spotted Flycatcher hunting, they would look at me a bit incredulously.


If you look closely this one has his eye on the prize, a suicidal fly.  They watch intently every movement of flying insects.  Then they take off, snatch it from the air and quite often return to the same perch.



They are small brown birds, but to me they are very beautiful.  It's their behaviour and stature.



This one looks so proud and self confident.

That's probably the last time I will see them this year, but of course I can have a look along the hedge at the same time next year! 

If there is plenty of food I sometimes wonder why they don't stop and breed, that would be great, but ah well it's nice to see them every year even though they are just passing through.


No comments:

Post a Comment