Tuesday 27 August 2019

August 2019 Great to catch up with my fourth species of owl ~ Little Owl

These were quite common in my younger days before I had a camera.  I would often hear their loud shrieking call and see them looking at me out of a small hedgerow of old willow trees.  They were great confident little birds for their diminutive size.  Over the years they have seemed to disappear locally and I had not managed to get any images of them.  I think an harsh winter when the ground stayed permanently frozen for a few weeks devastated their numbers.  I was really pleased to get some information of a site where there were some newly fledged young still hanging about and feeding.  They are great birds to photograph and have really expressive faces.


More confident together
They were perched in a old dead tree and frequently flying to the ground and seemed to be living entirely on worms,

 
Nice meal if it can be pulled from the ground
It was a great morning watching these three juveniles going about their antics.  Of all the owls I am likely to see in the UK this leaves me with the Long Eared Owl missing.  I would really love to spend some time with one of these, probably roosting quietly hidden deep in a bush.  One day I am sure!




No comments:

Post a Comment