Saturday 23 November 2019

November 2019 Migrant Blackbirds massing on my berries

It is not always understood that lots of blackbirds migrate to the UK from Scandinavia.  On a rowan tree at the back of my garden there are about five or six males and a female all vying for position.  This is far more than would be resident around our small area.

Selecting a juicy ripe one
I quite like their dark colours contrasting with the bright red berries from a photography point of view.

They get greedy for them
They have evolved to be very flexible in their diet and feed on mainly worms in the summer months.  Come the winter months when "needs must" they readily switch to a berry diet.  I suppose it is this flexibility that contributes to them being such a common bird.

Disappearing fast!

They always seem to take them from the top down.  I guess they must ripen in this order.  I always hope that there will be some left for the visiting Redwings or even a few Waxwings.
Not this year though as they will all be gone in the next few days!

No comments:

Post a Comment